SwingSetMall.com provides playground equipment for use by children in properly designed, constructed, installed, and supervised playground settings.
Home playground equipment, also called residential equipment, is for use in a private backyard. It is for use by children between 18 months and 10 years of age only, and under 110 pounds. All SwingSetMall.com equipment which have part numbers ending in "R" are for residential backyard (home) use only.
Public, or commercial use playground equipment can be used in residential backyard settings, as well in school, park, day care center, and other public settings. This equipment is for use by children only, between the ages of 2 to 12 years and under 125 pounds. Commercial-grade equipment, both identical or similar to what we sell, can be found in parks and recreation areas throughout North America. While teens and adults often use this equipment in such settings with both safety and satisfaction, due to liability concerns, we cannot suggest or recommend the use of the equipment, parts, or accessories we sell for use by these age groups.
Products on SwingSetMall.com are identified either as "Commercial" or "Residential" beneath the product name and within the "Other Details" tab on the product pages.
Using Playground Equipment
When using any playground equipment, use the following guidelines:
- Children should always be supervised by one or more adults.
- All playground events must be placed over appropriate impact absorbing surfacing. Hard dirt, asphalt, concrete, carpet, and grass are not acceptable playground surfaces.
- All swings must be suspended from a swing hanger or other friction reducing device. Simple S-hooks or eyebolts are not sufficient.
- Ropes, nets, and climbing ladders must be anchored to the ground.
- All playground components can become too hot to touch when exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods. Be aware of this fact and warn children of this danger. As much as is possible, place slides either in the shade and/or facing north.
- All playground equipment is subject to deterioration through ordinary use, sun, rain, wind, and temperature changes. Many playground components require periodic maintenance. All parts and accessories should be inspected at least monthly for wear, deterioration, or vandalism, and repaired or replaced if damaged. Swing seats should be replaced at least every three years, sooner if subjected to misuse, damage or vandalism.
You will find many general safety recommendations for residential and commercial playgrounds in our Frequently Asked Questions resource. For more information on playground safety and helpful construction information, visit the following websites: